The Kurzweil K2000 Has to be the best keyboard I ever found at a thrift store. It was almost in perfect working order, besides a little bit of battery corrosion which I fix with a bit doxit and a toothbrush. But I discovered it had an issue with note velocity with one of its keys. I knew about this issue for a while but I thought it would be a complicated and time-consuming process, as it requires removing the keyboard and taking its keys off. I was just didn’t have the time for it until now.
Teardown is easy, I remove all the screws from the back then I pull it up lifting it off. There are a few different screws as the outer ones are longer, which I put to the side and keept note where they post to go. Once inside all I have to do is remove the ribbon cables that attaches the keybed to the mainboard and then unscrew the key bed from the keyboard frame.
This keyboard is well-built, its so easy to service nothing getting in the way, and all the connections are removable.
Removing, the keys were pretty easy, first, you have to remove the spring which I use a pair of needle nose pliers. Then while the key is in the down position stick a screwdriver in the hole and push the key away from the bed. Then it pops up. Took me a few tries, but it was easy once I got a hand in it.
When I took them all and processed to the other side to remove the back plain. Then I realized that I would have just taken the backplane off to get to the contact for the key that was having issues. I was slightly annoyed I didn’t really need to take all the keys off for this issue, though it did need a cleaning.
Fortunately don’t have a photo of this part. Once I got the board off I took off a part of the rubber membrane where I believe the key was not working. Sure enough, I found a piece of hair between the contacts. I removed it and started putting it back together. No need to take off the other membranes as I know they are working correctly.
Update: This Keyboard unfortunately, doesn’t work anymore the Effects processor has died in it. After some research, I found out This is a common issue with one of these keyboards. Its too bad as I have other updates I have. Such as installing a BlueSCSI emulator. Sadly there wasn’t much I would do, as it would require finding a chip that’s hard to find or a new mainboard. I believe the cause of death was it overheated when I forgot to turn it off one night.